Rebel Café Forum Index
Get The Guide RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
LIGHTS FOR GREEN SCEEN?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Rebel Café Forum Index » Chapter 3: Shooting View previous topic
View next topic
LIGHTS FOR GREEN SCEEN?
numba9

Post LIGHTS FOR GREEN SCEEN? Reply with quote
hello,

going to shoot some green screen with my HV30 this weekend and was wondering if 2 of these LED lights would be suitable:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7296_200377296

too ghetto? the shoot will mostly be interview stuff.

thanks!
Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Scotty

Post Reply with quote
The link doesnt work for me Sad
Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:33 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
numba9

Post Reply with quote
doh! sorry...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200377296_200377296
Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Ichybob

Post Reply with quote
are those only for the green screen? or talent and green screen? you'll probably not be able to light the green screen and talent with just those two. You may be able to light the green screen evenly enough to pull a semi-decent key with just those two. They're are probably pretty harsh for lighting talent in an interview.

Lighting for green screen is covered in many articles on the net. IIRC their was a decent one in the last month or so on ProVideoCoalition.com

Their are a number of threads about it here too.

Oh yea, Welcome!
Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:40 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
numba9

Post Reply with quote
yeah those are definitely only for the greenscreen. figured that if i was gonna shell out money for rentals, might as well try and find something that i could own and wouldnt use a lot of power and generate crazy heat.

thanks for the responses, folks!
Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
Stu
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If you get them, let us know how they work out. That's a pretty sweet deal.

-Stu

Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:17 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rodisgod

Post Reply with quote
I tried lighting greenscreen for XM2 with cheap lights = many hours wasted.
Then along came a HV30 & realisation what was wrong. I think you'll get good results with those lights either way Very Happy

They look handy & a good price too!
Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:36 am View user's profile Send private message
Atomick

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, DEFINITELY report back on how those work. Most LED lights seem to have a slight uptick in the green part of the spectrum, so they'd probably be pretty great for greenscreen. LEDs seem to really vary in quality, so if you got a pair of super-bright units for one hundred clams that seemed to have similar color temperatures, that's a great investment for The Rebel Type!
Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:26 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
numba9

Post Reply with quote
rebel hermanos,

i've decided not use the LED lights on this one. but i am going to get in touch with the manufacturer and ask how bright it is.
Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
numba9

Post Reply with quote
anyone have any experience shooting green screen, 24P on a HV30?

is it better to shoot 60i for keying HDV?
Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Stu
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Yikes! Hell no.

-Stu

Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:30 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mr. Ichybob

Post Reply with quote
I've used an HV20 for a lot of green screen work, it's all about brightly lit even screen, and moving the talent away from the screen 6-10 feet to reduce spill.
Keylight does bring up the artifacts inherent in HDV footage, I've been able to control that pretty much by crushing the blacks a tad in levels, or other creative use of CC. It varies shot to shot depending on lighting and colors. But with the HV20/30 make sure you have no gain.

And as Stu said and covers in the guide, interlace is horrible for keying and effects in general as you have horrible interlaced edges to deal with, really a pain the arse.
Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:55 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ClintTorres

Post Reply with quote
In case you still need ideas on setting up the shoot, Alex Lindsay just wrote a Green Screen overview too:
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/pvcpostpipeline/story/greenscreen_primer_part_1/
Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:26 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
numba9

Post Reply with quote
i called the manufacturer and the dude said that the LED lamp is comparable to a 250W halogen lamp.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200377296_200377296
or
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100655277&N=10000003+90401

thanks everyone for your input and links. i made many rookie mistakes on the green screen shoot, but it woulda been way worse if not for the rebels.

viva la rebellion!
Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:28 am View user's profile Send private message
grillo

Post Reply with quote
I tried just for fun to do a green screen test in my basement last week, and it turned out pretty good. my screen was a 3.99 polarvide plaid from ikea, taped to the back wall. I lit it with, don't laugh please, cfl bulbs flimsy attached to stands on either side ( i didn't have enough lights to light both the test subject and the green screen) and lit the subject with one of those multi cfl softboxes that are dirt cheap on ebay. shot everything with an hv30. it keyed pretty well with minimal fiddling of the settings in ae, i'm pretty amazed.
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Rebel Café Forum Index » Chapter 3: Shooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: