WHITE RED PANIC short film
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Reply to topic    Rebel Café Forum Index » Rebel Yell View previous topic
View next topic
WHITE RED PANIC short film
Ayz

Post WHITE RED PANIC short film Reply with quote
Hey guys.

My name's Ayz Waraich. I directed a short called WHITE RED PANIC on the HV20, to which Stu kindly posted a teaser for on his blog recently. The FULL film went live yesterday at www.dimeworth.com in various formats. The Vimeo HD link is the fastest way to check it out in decent quality.

So Stu asked if I could share some Before and After images of the film to show what can be done with this cam -- so here I am.

The film was shot mostly with the stock lens, and some shots used the CANON Wide-angle adapter. I did extensive tests before hand with different settings and CC ideas, so I knew exactly how to use the Camera during production. I shot with 1/60th shutter at least, sacrificing the cinemode -- and compensated for that by turning down the contrast in the settings to gain a bit of dynamic range. The "Before" images are really washed out and look flat, but having done the tests I knew what to look for. The wardrobe and locations were carefully considered to get a certain kind of look and colors after CC.

I'm not gonna get into my CC procedure, because it's so wrong and out of the ordinary that it's silly to try and explain. Wanted something a bit impressionistic and vivid... and to destroy some of the detail and definition in the HDV, but keep it sharp looking. Like i said, hard to articulate.

Anyway, here's the B&A. And thanks in advance to anyone who checks out the film.

=======================================

NEW UPDATE FEB 2009

Hey Guys

WHITE RED PANIC, has been entered into the online Babelgum film festival, which Spike Lee is a judge on.

Apparently its all about the popularity of the film, and how many viewers vote for it before it gets in front of the judges, so I thought I'd call some of you DV-rebels to arms, and see if you couldn't vote/rate for the film once a day. Whatever you can manage would be GREATLY appreciated by me.

WRP has yet to get some official recognition, since i don't have the budget to enter it into a million fests, so for it to get noticed at BabelGum could really help towards getting another project off the ground.

Much thanks either way. This forum's been a blast regardless Wink

Here's the link:

http://www.babelgum.com/html/clip.php?clipId=3004126[/u]

Last edited by Ayz on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:18 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gage

Post Reply with quote
Awesome! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

If your only holdup about explaining the CC is that it is "wrong", then I encourage you to share anyway. Depending on the look you need for a specific film or shot, there is no "right" or "wrong", there is only what is needed to achieve the goal.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing.
Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Ichybob

Post Reply with quote
fantastic, great movie. love your CC/look.
The before/afters are really interesting too, especially the last set. You were really able to find and bring out some amazing detail/color there.
Q: What's the ratio of location sound to ADR?

Thanks for the post, great stuff!
Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:40 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ayz

Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ichybob wrote:
fantastic, great movie. love your CC/look.

Q: What's the ratio of location sound to ADR?

99.9% location sound as far as dialogue is concerned.

Sfx, ambience, and atmosphere where mostly sound-design in post.

WHITE | RED | PANIC
Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:55 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Ichybob

Post Reply with quote
Quote:

99.9% location sound as far as dialogue is concerned.

Wow, really nice dialog recording. I thought it was ADR. (the sound overall is very nice too, both music and ambiance)
Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:05 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MoonDog

Post Re: WHITE RED PANIC short film Reply with quote
"I'm not gonna get into my CC procedure, because it's so wrong and out of the ordinary that it's silly to try and explain. "

To me, this is exactly the DV Rebel mantra (at least in comparison to the "Hollywood" method of production). The whole idea behind Stu's book is obtaining Hollywood results without the bloated Hollywood production methods...

I'm sure forum members would respect your wishes not to go into detail about the CC, but since your "look" is one of the most impressive aspects of your short (especially given the camera you acquired the images with), you can understand why we'd be most curious...

Just thought I'd ask. Regardless - excellent work.
Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:44 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stu
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thanks so much for joining and posting your images Ayz!

Like the others, I'd love to hear about your "wrong" practices. Smile

What you did right is make a beautiful film with a very pushed look that maintains skin tones.

I watched it on a 90" projection screen, 1080p projector off a PS3 and it looked spectacular.

-Stu

Last edited by Stu on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mdotstrange

Post Reply with quote
Awesome job! Your name sounds familiar I think I've seen one of your shorts online in the past... but yeh I've been to a lot of fests recently and this short is definitely better than most all of what I've seen in the past year so I hope your going to send it around ^ ^

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:40 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ayz

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments guys.

Stu wrote:
Thanks so much for joining and posting your images Ayz!

Like the others, I'd love to hear about your "wrong" practices. Smile

What you did right is make a beautiful film with a very pushed look that maintains skin tones.

It's not so much that it's wrong, but more that it's weird and embarrasing. I can imagine some of the more pro guys thinking it absolutely backwards. It's sort of like baking film stock before using it. It sound stupid, but it definitely has a certain look.

I will say it was all done in vegas, and I used the aav6cc plugin to keep the skin tones. From there on it was very intuitive and experimental. Mostly using multipe brightness/contrast filters and color correctors. There was also some layering of solid color frames over the clips, and then playing with the opacity -- and then adding contrast again. I compared it back forth with traditional ways, and even when the look was almost similar, my way added slightly more aged and filmic look, while keeping sharpness.

That probably makes no sense, but like I said it was very much about experimenting and feeling my way around until I had a process that worked for me and looked right.

Wanted the images to have a raw and impressionistic quality, with not a lot of definition and detail in the blacks. Almost like a slightly faded print, but not.

Stu wrote:
I watched it on a 90" projection screen, 1080p projector off a PS3 and it looked spectacular.

A 90" screen! wow, glad to see it held up for you. That's REALLY cool to hear. All I see are flaws now lol.

WHITE | RED | PANIC
Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:22 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boz

Post Reply with quote
Hey Ayz, welcome aboard! Hopefully you'll stick around for a bit and contribute to our humble little group.

I must say I was quite impressed with your short. It's well directed, well shot, and well acted. And the DI work is phenomenal. Being an HV20 owner, it also gives me even more respect for the humble little camera. And it reinforces the "it's not the tools, it's the artist" mantra.

One quick question. I notice the film is in 720P format which the HV20 does not support. So my question to you is where in your process did you do the scale down to 720P and why did you choose to go with that format? I have my own reasons for doing things in 720P (saves disk space and is way quicker to work with), but I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
Ayz

Post Reply with quote
Boz wrote:
One quick question. I notice the film is in 720P format which the HV20 does not support. So my question to you is where in your process did you do the scale down to 720P and why did you choose to go with that format? I have my own reasons for doing things in 720P (saves disk space and is way quicker to work with), but I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks Boz. And that's a good question.

I Rendered to a 720P version straight from Vegas. Originally I wanted to do a 1080P version as well, but I found there were a lot of hdv compression artifacts and the image didn't hold up so well at that resolution. It looked okay, but the flaws were more noticable. Keep in mind, I really pushed the colors and contrast, so it brought out more of the noise that wasn't so visible in the original image.

720P looked decent though, so I just stuck with that.

I'd be curious to try and record 1920x1080 straight to a harddrive through the HDMI port, but lugging a PC around doesn't seem appealing to me. I had my laptop on set, hooked into the hv20, so I could use the screen for focusing -- but I looked at it MAYBE once. So I unplugged it and put it back. Was just getting in the way for me. Wink

WHITE | RED | PANIC
Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:54 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
storitel

Post Reply with quote
excellent job!

I guess you letterboxed in vegas too? did you plan for this aspect ratio from the start?

and I too am really impressed with the sound. what kit did you use for sound on the shoot? could you explain a bit about how you tackled the sound in post?
Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Farnsworth

Post Reply with quote
Wow! Somebody show this to Stefan Sargent.
Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:36 am View user's profile Send private message
Boz

Post Reply with quote
Ayz wrote:
I'd be curious to try and record 1920x1080 straight to a harddrive through the HDMI port, but lugging a PC around doesn't seem appealing to me. I had my laptop on set, hooked into the hv20, so I could use the screen for focusing -- but I looked at it MAYBE once. So I unplugged it and put it back. Was just getting in the way for me. Wink

We have a blackmagic capture card here at work that we hooked the HV20 up to. The images were super clean, but I noticed some strange motion blurring artifacts that I didn't quite know what to make of. We were mostly curious to see if a better greenscreen key could be pulled by bypassing the HDV compression and going straight out of HDMI (the answer is 'yes'). So while it would work great for greenscreen stage work I agree it would be a giant pain in the arse to lug that PC & monitor around as a capture solution for anything more.

A few more questions if I may....

What was your budget (roughly) for this flick? And what were the main expenses involved?

Also, I read somewhere that you used worklights for your lighting solution. Having used worklights myself I know there's some big caveats when using them. Did you use diffusion to soften the light and did you run into any problems not being able to get the lights up high enough? I've experienced both of these problems in the past, so I was wondering how you dealt with them.

Thanks.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:22 am View user's profile Send private message
Stu
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hey guys, even though I asked Ayz to post this on Onlining since it was a CC before/after, I've moved it to Rebel Yell since it's now become a general thread about the making of the short.

Which is awesome and what I hoped would happen. Smile

Ayz, I'd love to hear more about your production audio. Did you pipe into the camera? Or dual system? What mics did you use?

-Stu

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:55 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Rebel Café Forum Index » Rebel Yell All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: