Get The Guide RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Fusion vs Nuke

Reply to topic    Rebel Café Forum Index » ProLost Posts View previous topic
View next topic
Fusion vs Nuke
zeke

Post Fusion vs Nuke Reply with quote
Hi Stu...
I noticed in the podcast you did with fxguide, you seemed to prefer Nuke over Fusion.
I've downloaded the PLE version of fusion and the tutorials and it seems to be pretty powerful.
I just downloaded the 30 day trial of Nuke and will be giving it a whirl this weekend.

I don't have enough experience with either to understand why you prefer one over the other.
Not trying to start a flame war, just wanting to make a good decision.
The initial price of Nuke has dropped 30%, but still cost 1K a year per seat.
Eyeon doesn't charge yearly maint fees.

Based on the demos, I like them both and I find myself preferring the node based approach to vfx and CG work.

Stability and features are most important, but cost still matters.

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by zeke on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:53 am View user's profile Send private message
alan

Post Reply with quote
Can you point me to where Nuke can be purchased for $1K/yr? I looked at Foundry http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/index.aspx
but I didn't see anything except Nuke 4.7v1 demo version and a link to sales.

FYI, Fusion does offer Academic pricing if you can qualify for that.
Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:05 am View user's profile Send private message
Stu
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Both apps are great, and Fusion makes a much better first impression. But when you start to get very deep, complex comps going in Fusion, there are performance and stability issues. NUKE, on the other hand, is battle tested by DD and able to handle very complex comps with many hundreds of nodes. Its scanline renderer means that you can comfortably work with very large files even without a ton of RAM.

This stuff is hard to get a sense of when you're first trying out the apps. If you're a dozens-of-nodes comper, Fusion will probably be perfect for you. If you're a hundreds-of-nodes comper, consider NUKE.

You can hear me blather on about this on the May 14th episode of the fxguide podcast.

-Stu

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:08 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zeke

Post Reply with quote
alan wrote:
Can you point me to where Nuke can be purchased for $1K/yr? I looked at Foundry http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/index.aspx
but I didn't see anything except Nuke 4.7v1 demo version and a link to sales.

FYI, Fusion does offer Academic pricing if you can qualify for that.

1K is the yearly maint fees after you pay the initial price, msrp is currently 3500.00 usd. I'm pretty sure they are open to negotiation on intitial price though.
Over time the cost can add up.
Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:18 am View user's profile Send private message
zeke

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the answer Stu. At the moment I don't know if I'm a hundreds of nodes comper, but the scan line feature is powerful. Now have to figure out what the cost is for a few rendernodes. Need to find out if either app will support the Sheervideo Quicktime codec (on Windows) at 10bit color depth.
Nice to get info beyond the marketing hype.

Joe C.
Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 am View user's profile Send private message
zeke

Post Reply with quote
Update on Fusion...
I emailed the question about supporting 10bit codecs in Quicktime, their answer is no. They said the codec vendor would need to write a specific plug-in for Fusion to enable support. This goes for SheerVideo, Cineform...which means converting to DPX or OpenEXR sequences. Not a killer, just an extra and storage expensive step.
Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:32 am View user's profile Send private message
ChristianLett

Post Reply with quote
Hey Zeke,

I downloaded the demo of Nuke last year from D2, took one look at it and uninstalled it. UI-wise it was nowhere near as nice as Fusion, and things like the file dialogs really annoyed me. However with the release of version 4.7v1 recently I decided to try Nuke again. I emailed the foundry (sales *at* thefoundry.co.uk) asking them for a 30 day eval license, which they were only too happy to provide.

I'm working my way through the tutorials, and am slowly getting used to it. This version feels a lot nicer to use than the previous time I downloaded it, but there's a hell of a lot to take in - especially when compared to the distinctly non-node-based After Effects. Just getting your head round the various channels on offer is mind boggling! I plan on reproducing a few of the effects shots from Impact Day, previously made in AE, before my 30 days is up.

As for The Foundry, they've asked me for feedback on Nuke - in their words:

Quote:
We hope that you enjoy your evaluation, and - given our continued commitment to the development of the product - any feedback you can provide us with will be gratefully received. We are always interested in suggestions for improvements from the users, so any thoughts you have will be very welcome... over the coming months you should continue to see significant development.

Also encouraging is the price drop. Now at $3,500 (£1,750) per Nuke GUI, and $250 (£125) per render license. Maintenance is $1,000 (£500) per GUI per year and $150 (£75) per render per year, which will give you support and free upgrades.

As we're about to invest in upgrading our Adobe software to CS3, I doubt we'll be able to afford Nuke too (and I might end up not liking it). However I can't deny its power, even though it did crash on me earlier when I tried to blur an edge matte!

Christian
Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:33 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ChristianLett

Post Reply with quote
One other thing - not sure whether it will support the codec you mention. In fact it won't load in DV video either. I guess you need to convert everything to image sequences first. Sad
Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:34 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zeke

Post Reply with quote
ChristianLett wrote:
One other thing - not sure whether it will support the codec you mention. In fact it won't load in DV video either. I guess you need to convert everything to image sequences first. Sad

Not worried about DV, but thanks for the feedback. I'm considering Adobe CS3 Production Premium too, if I get that, Nuke or Fusion will have to wait a few months. My probem is I don't have much time to do much in a 30 day trial. Maybe 4 or five days out of the thirty and only a few hours per day at that.

Joe C.
Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Rebel Café Forum Index » ProLost Posts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: